Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Book Store

Yesterday I met a friend for lunch and afterwards decided to take Rhett to Barnes & Noble. There is a book that I have been wanting to read and I thought he might enjoy walking around the children's section. I had already made up my mind that I was not going to buy him a book, I'm a huge sucker when it comes to children's books, but the boys have plenty so that was my plan...
We walk into the store and up the escalator (such a big boy!) and over to the children's area. (Note to self: Get your stuff first, then play...) He starts walking around looking at everything, grabbing some stuffed animals, just having a good ol' time! Then we walk to the other side and I show him the little chairs and his face lights up! He crawls into one of them and sits for a minute and then he's down again. He goes over to the board books and is walking up and down the aisle like he knows what he's looking for, but just can't seem to find it. Then he does.... it's a Thomas the Train book on the very bottom shelf! He picks it up, walks back over to the chairs, climbs in and sits down and begins to look at his book! I had nothing to do with this whole procedure, all by himself!! I was thinking to myself, what a genius I have on my hands!

Climbing into the chair to do a little light reading

Looking at the Thomas book
After a few minutes I look down at my watch and determine that we need to put this book away and go get the book that we came here for, pay, get in the car and get home in time for his afternoon nap. So..... I say to him let's go buddy. He climbs down out of the chair and we start walking back to the shelf, I take the book from him and put it back. Then, the world came CRASHING down! He falls into the floor screaming and crying because he wants that book. I was taken aback for a minute because he is usually pretty even tempered. (I would totally expect something like this from Grant!) So I begin to try and pick him up and I use the word "try" because that's exactly what it was. He was pulling the go limp and she can't do anything about it routine. So here we are in the middle of the store, I have a screaming child that I am desperately trying to pull up off the floor plus hang onto my purse and get out of here without looking like a totally incompetent mother! As you will remember, I told you that the children's section is on the second floor so we have to ride the escalator back down (located smack dab in the middle of the store) and yes he is screaming the entire time and still trying to get away from me. Now I'm holding him Vietnam Style (slung over my shoulder) and running to get out the door! The minute we hit the parking lot, he's silent....
REALLY!!!! Needless to say, neither one of us got a book.
I honestly never thought I would be THAT mother with the out of control child. I had to eat alot of words yesterday!

3 comments:

  1. Uh oh... it starts! I think it is routine for new moms to eat their words, unfortunately. Some of us women say too much, too soon! I still like his pictures though! Was this a "Rhett day out?" Cool
    ~Allison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the real world.Rhett is a normal child and you are the lucky Mom. The stories you heard from Ganny are true. HA HA! Grandad James

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes...the Thomas the Train obsession...I have been there and still am there on occasions! I don't know what it is with little boys and Thomas the Train...Be prepared for the future filled with train tables, train tracks, and more Thomas books to read over and over again!! Gotta love it! Cute story! Your boys are growing, and I love how grandparents chip in!!

    ReplyDelete